Your Privacy Is a Priority for Us
The confidentiality of your non-public personal information (Information) is important to M.D.C. Holdings, Inc. (MDC) and its affiliates. MDC's affiliates include the Richmond American Homes companies, HomeAmerican Mortgage Corporation, American Home Insurance Agency, Inc., AH Insurance Agency, Inc., AHI Insurance Agency and American Home Title and Escrow Company. We are providing you with this privacy notice to help you understand how we handle Information about you that we may obtain and under what circumstances we may disclose the Information to our affiliates and other third parties. This notice also tells you how you can limit our disclosure of your Information.
We do not sell your Information to anyone. Sharing Information within the MDC family of companies may benefit you by making it easier for you to apply for services from our related companies. In addition, sharing Information can help you receive timely notice about additional products, services or other special offers that may be of interest to you.
Categories of Information We Gather
As part of selling you a home, providing you with financial products or services, or both, we may obtain Information about you from the following sources:
- Applications, forms, and other information that you provide to us, whether in writing, in person, by telephone, electronically or by any other means. This information may include your name, address, telephone numbers, Social Security number, driver's license number, marital status, employment information, income information, assets and credit references.
- Your transactions with us, our affiliates (members of the MDC corporate family), or others. This information may be part of your HomeAmerican loan application, your Richmond American Homes purchase contract or an application for insurance from American Home Insurance or American Home Title and Escrow.
- Consumer reporting agencies. This information may include your credit bureau reports and other information relating to your creditworthiness and credit history.
- Public sources. This information may include real estate records and telephone numbers.
- On-line. On our web sites, we automatically track certain information about you as you visit and use our site to help us better understand how the site is being used and how we can improve your on-line experience. This information may include your computer's Internet Protocol address, the site pages you visited and the duration of such visit and what search queries you have made. This information is automatically gathered through the use of "cookies" or other tracking mechanisms (see further discussion below).
Categories of Persons/Entities with Which We May Share Information
The parties with which we may share Information fall into two general categories:
- Affiliates; and
- Nonaffiliated third parties.
Sharing Information with Our Affiliates
In the course of our business, we may share Information with members of our corporate family.
The Information we may share includes:
- Information about your identity (such as name, address, phone numbers, Social Security or driver's license number);
- Information about your transactions with us (such as your contract information, account number, loan balance and repayment history);
- Certain information about your application with us (such as information about your assets or income); and
- Information about your credit report or similar information (such as information about your credit standing or other characteristics) obtained from credit bureaus.
Sharing Information with Nonaffiliated Third Parties
Nonaffiliated third parties are those not part of the MDC corporate family. We may share Information with financial service providers such as insurance companies and non-financial companies such as retailers and direct marketers. The Information we may share with these companies includes information about:
- Your identity (such as name, address, phone numbers, Social Security or driver's license number) and
- Your transactions with us (such as your contract information, loan balance and repayment history).
"Opt Out" Opportunity
If you do not want us to share your Information within our affiliated corporate family or with nonaffiliated third parties so they can market their products or services to you, you may write or call us:
Write to us at:M.D.C. Holdings, Inc. c/o HomeAmerican Mortgage Corporation
Customer Service Department
4350 S. Monaco Street, Suite 200
Denver, Colorado 80237
Or call us at 800-772-8024.
Please provide the name, address, Social Security number, and loan/policy number of each customer or joint account holder who does not want us to share their Information. If you have a joint account, a request by one party will apply to the entire account. Please allow 30 days from our receipt of your request for your instructions to become effective.
Your choice will apply until you tell us to change it.
Sharing of Information in Other Circumstances
We may disclose Information to companies that perform marketing services on our behalf or to third-party financial institutions with which we have joint marketing agreements. In disclosing Information to these parties, we require confidentiality by the receiving parties and limit the use of the Information to the purpose for which it was disclosed.Also, we are required to or we may provide Information about you to nonaffiliated third parties outside of the MDC corporate family without your consent for our everyday business purposes, such as to process transactions, maintain accounts, respond to court orders and legal investigations or report to credit bureaus.
If you end your relationship with us, we will continue to treat and safeguard your Information as described in this notice.
Our Security Practices and Information Accuracy
We also take steps to safeguard your Information. We restrict access to the personal and account Information of our customers to those employees who need to know that information in the course of their job responsibilities. We maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards that comply with federal standards to protect customer information.
We also have internal controls to keep Information as accurate and complete as we can. If you believe that any Information we have about you is not accurate, please let us know immediately by contacting us as described above.
Protecting Your Information Online
The following statement applies to all of MDC's websites. If you request information through our websites, use online tools and calculators, apply on-line for products, subscribe to online services, complete an online form or application, conduct transactions online (e.g., Internet or wireless device) or otherwise use our websites, we and certain unaffiliated third parties with which we work to deliver online products and services may retain the Information you provide and track your use of our and third-party web sites.
If you agree to receive e-mail messages from us, we may retain the information you provide us to deliver e-mails of specific interest to you. If you choose to send us e-mails, we may retain the content of your e-mail message, your e-mail address, and our subsequent response. Please be careful about the information you provide to us by e-mail; as with any public website, this channel of communication is not necessarily secure against interception.
- Use of "Cookies" and Tracking
Our sites use "cookies" or other tracking mechanisms to help you personalize your online experience and note your use of our sites. Some of the primary purposes of these mechanisms are to save you time and to provide you with more customized offers, whether on our website or those of unaffiliated third parties. Cookies allow you to customize our sites to match your personal preferences. You have the ability to accept or decline cookies. If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to fully experience the interactive features of our sites. Whether or not you select “do not track” options in your web browser, we do not disable our tracking features and we and third parties may collect your Information and provide you with customized offers over time and across third-party web sites.
- Children's Online Information Privacy
Protecting children's identities and information online is important. We do not knowingly solicit data from children online, nor do we market our online products and services to children under the age of 18 years old.
To the extent any of MDC's affiliated companies is deemed a “financial institution” under the California Financial Information Privacy Act, those entities will not share your Information with any of our affiliated companies or non-affiliated third parties except as permitted by law or otherwise directed by you.
Pursuant to the laws of the State of Nevada, residents of Nevada may elect to be placed on our internal “do-not-call” list. You may make such an election by contacting us at the phone number or address provided above under “Opt-Out” Opportunity. You may obtain further information about your rights under Nevada law by contacting us at the phone number or address provided above under “Opt-Out” Opportunity or email us at FYI@richmondamerican.com, or contact the Nevada Attorney General's office at: Bureau of Consumer Protection, Office of the Nevada Attorney General, 555 E. Washington Avenue, Suite 3900, Las Vegas, Nevada 89101, Phone: 702-486-3132, Email: BCPINFO@ag.state.nv.us
Revised effective: November 13, 2013.